Will SoonerCare Pay for A Nursing Home?

will sooner care pay for a nursing home.jpg

How Will I Pay for Nursing Home Care?

When a loved one is deteriorating in health, it can be a stressful time for the family. One contributing stress factor is when people begin to worry about how they are going to pay for nursing home care for mom or dad. The process may seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. Fortunately, there are a number of ways to pay for nursing home care in southern Oklahoma, including private insurance, Medicare, SoonerCare, and private pay.

SoonerCare is the name of Medcaid benefits in the state of Oklahoma. This is a popular option for paying for nursing home care in Carter County and the greater Ardmore area. Eligibility is dependent on a number of factors, including income status, age, and health considerations. In order to check your eligibility to qualify for SoonerCare, the place to begin is at the Carter County DHS Office. They can guide each individual on a case-by-case basis on determining eligibility.

If a person is eligible to enroll in Medicaid (SoonerCare), the case worker will inform the individual what his or her out-of-pocket expense would be for nursing home care. Those receiving SoonerCare benefits to pay for their nursing home longterm care are eligible to keep $50 each month for personal needs.

Will Dad Lose His Home?

Another stressful factor is the fear that loved ones may have to give up their property in order to qualify for benefits. In some instances, the spouse of a nursing home resident may be able to keep things like the house, the car, and assets up to $95,100 (as of 2005). Again, a caseworker from the Oklahoma Department of Human Services can answer these questions depending on an individual’s unique circumstances.

If we can help in any way in guiding you through the process of checking SoonerCare eligibility or in discussing your own options for paying for nursing home care, please do not hesitate to give us a call.